- positive and negative integers
- negative and negative integers
Draw up a 'rule' that would guide us when we add integers (especially when it involves negative integers).
Vocabulary List: Numerical Part. Sign. Positive. Negative. Difference. Sum. Same.
You are going to work in pairs or threes.
1. One of you will download the file "Chapter 2 Investigative Activity - Addition and Product.numbers" (from GoogleSite: 01 Mathematics). Another will display the blog post so that you could enter your discussion into the Comments.
2. Refer to the worksheet "Addition of Numbers":
- (a) Enter formula to find the value of "a + b" of the first set of integers (i.e. 10 + (-1)). The spreadsheet will compute the value automatically for you.
- (b) Copy the formula to the rest of the cells below; also to the next column.
3. Discuss the patterns you observe between the addition of integers:
- (a) What happens when a positive integer + a negative integer (given that the positive number has a greater numerical value)?
- (b) What happens when a positive integer + a negative integer (given that the positive number has a smaller numerical value)?
- (c) What happens when a negative integer + a negative integer? How similar or different it is when compared the sum of two positive numbers?
5. Sign off the Comments with the name(s) of both of you.